Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Blogiversary

Today is my first blogiversary. I still haven't cast on the twined knit sleeves I told you about when I started last January, but I have done a fair bit (for me) of knitting this year. As much as I love lists, you would think I'd keep a better record of what I have knit, but no-o-o-o. (Maybe this is for the best. I move forward to the next good thing?)

So here, from memory and I am sure with glaring gaps, is what I have accomplished this year knit-wise:

+Two High Country Knitwear cowboy hats
+a felted Kool-Aid cloche for Cassie's teacher
+a felted cat bed
+a hat for Larissa's meathead knit-along
*a baby cap for Caps to the Capital
*a felted Fibonacci cap, a red Aran and a green cap with hair for Caps for Kids
*a red scarf for the Red Scarf Project
*a white and blue and green scarf for the Red Scarf Project (figure that one out)
*2 7 x 9 blocks for group afghans
*a pink alpaca shawl for breast cancer fund raising
*at least 5 dishrags
+7 more inches on the Eternal Socks
*2 pair of baby booties
almost a whole Shapely Shawlette (I put this on the list because I actually knit more than an entire shawlette, since I made it bigger, but I confess I haven't figured out what I want the edge to look like)

Everything with an * was a charity project. Everything with a + was a gift.

I think I see a pattern here.

I have been invited to a knitting reception later this month -- not a formal reception, but not a blue jeans & turtleneck event either. There are two things keeping me from slipping into something slinky to schmooze the night away: 1) I am not a night owl. It is in DC. At night. and 2) I don't have a single cool knit thing to wear. No elegant shawls, no artful hats, no wild socks, no colorful sweaters. The knit mittens I wear and treasure were knit for my Grandma by her sister.



I do not believe I am unique. While most of the knitters I know probably have a thing or two in their closet that they've done for themselves, I'll bet they have given more away than they've kept. Knitters are kind hearted. Just look at the Yarn Harlot's sidebar total for Knitters Without Borders (her very own Doctors Without Borders "spin" off. That's where the money goes.) On December 15, 2006, the total was about $120,000. Since then knitters have answered Stephanie's challenge by adding over $200,000 to that total.

Maybe it's not such a bad thing, not having any knitted chic in my own closet.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Generosity must be a knitter's trait. The only thing I reacall my mother keeping for herself was a hat and possibly mittens. My Grandma kept doilies but they were crocheted. She gave all her knitted stuff and a lot of her crocheted stuff away.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finish the Shapely Shawlette and you could wear that!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops!

Happy Blogiversary,
Happy Blogiversary,
Happy Blogiversareeeeee,
HAP! Py Blogiversary!

Congratulations on the 1st Blogiversary!

Greater congratulations on the amount of knitting you did last year!!! I'm impressed! That's quite a lot.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home