Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

We each celebrate in our own way




A while ago, when I mentioned my mammogram was scheduled for the morning of the first night of Hanukkah, a friend told me, "We each celebrate in our own way."

I laughed, but after thinking about it, that's really true. When I was young, a birthday celebration meant a trip to the dime store to pick out a present. (I still have my Whitman-bound copy of The Bobbsey Twins.)

We didn't do birthday parties but my eighth-grade-best-friend-and-locker-partner threw a surprise party for me with a glamour doll cake. (One of the advantages of having a birthday close to Christmas: if your friend wants to draw you to a surprise party, she just calls it a Christmas party on your invitation and you are ABSOLUTELY surprised.)

The first time I ever rode in a taxi was to Molly Mahoney's in Biloxi, Mississippi on my 22nd birthday. Or there was the time, 5 years ago, when for my birthday I held one-day-old Brendan. Our family celebrations were warm Norman Rockwell days instead of the frenzied, large ticket bashes many kids demand these days.

In the tradition of birthday photo trips down memory lane, I've posted my favorite photo. I was probably 12. When I look at this photo, I don't feel so different now than I did then. No one ever mentions you won't feel any more grown up when you are, um, grown up. (For those of you interested in the math, I'm a decade older than the yarnharlot.)





No matter how busy the time of year, there was always a cake, many times Angel Food and sometimes with candy canes. Who else in our family got candy on his cake? Just me. Did your Mom ever cut a circle of bread to fill the center of an Angel Food cake, then frost over it for a pretty, smooth top? You knew it was your special day because YOU got to eat cake AND that frosted-bread center. Yesterday, when my daughter asked what kind of cake I'd like, I said, "Ask Grandma to tell you the recipe for the best birthday cake on the planet" and Mom knew exactly which cake Cass was asking about.

Today I celebrated by cleaning the bunny cage, the cat litter box, scrubbing out the water dishes and giving all the animals sparkling clean water. I have a very satisfying sense of accomplishment.

We each celebrate in our own way. Happy Birthday to me.

(P.S. I can celebrate better than just cleaning up after pets. Later I'll go to one of my favorite yarn shops: Uniquities. She gives a birthday discount that grows the older you get. If I live to be 200, she'll give me all the yarn I want. Cool, eh?)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday, dear Gail,
Happy Birthday to you!

I quite enjoyed my 26% off this year!

One of my favorite cakes is angel food cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting. The other would be German chocolate cake with dark chocolate frosting. But maybe my favorite is the angel food. In my increasing years, I have found such a thing as "too much chocolate".

Hope your day continues to be great!

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dig that groovy outfit!!! Happy Birthday once again! :-)

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to one of the greatest joys of my life. Please note, I was kind enough not to mention what year you were born.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FELIZ CUMPLEANOS!

you ought to learn something new now that you are a year older (besides the names of all the muscles in your abdomen), so here is how to do the hustle!

http://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-Hustle

8:03 PM  
Blogger Lene Andersen said...

Happy birthday!

How come mothers always make the best cakes? I'm having a flashback to the birthday cakes of my childhood and getting very nostagic. ;)

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home