Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Meathead Knit-along

I mentioned awhile ago that I signed up to do Larissa Brown's Meathead Knit-along. (I'm linked on her web page as "gail & daughter." Cassie never did get inspired with the embellishment, but she does love taking the photos.) Larissa is doing a book about knit-alongs and knitting communities. For those of you that know flickr, you can view photos of participants' meatheads under the group meathead06. She will select a dozen or a dozen & a half of the hats (based more on color coordination than style) to actually be in the book.


The deadline is November 30. I got my photos posted with hours to spare.



It fits and has an antic little peak, but I wish the hat were just a bit deeper. I'd add a row or two next time. The pattern uses one skein of Lambs Pride Bulky, 2 strands held together on size 15 needles so it's a quick knit -- I spent less than an hour and a half from cast-on to ends-woven-in.



I've never done a knit-along before (unless you count my injured reserve in the Knitting Olympics.) This was fun but was over practically before I started. Since I'd used the color Mossy Oak (a medium bronzy brown), I thought about decorating it with cream colored I-cord for a gingerbread look, but settled on a peacock feather lashed to a bar pin with matching yarn, leaving the ends dangle and adding a few more ends for good measure. Oliver loves it. He REALLY wants this hat. I gave him the rest of the peacock feather to play with but being the wool lover he is, he wants it all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't think I cared a lot for the meathead cap design until I saw the photos. (Maybe it's the model??) Really clever, especially the peacock feather touch.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home