Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Lunch with the President

If you could have lunch with any two Presidents (or Prime Ministers), dead or alive, who would you choose? Why?

I think about this kind of question all the time -- just looking for interesting, intelligent people with which to have lunch. They might as well be imaginary. Unfortunately the group is really pretty homogenous when you think about it. White. Male. Late-middle-age to just-plain-old. More or less well-educated. Not a wild Bohemian in the bunch. Don't you wonder if some of these guys are picky eaters? Would lean over his plate of Bare Burrito at Baja Fresh and say, "What is this stuff? I am NOT eating this."

I don't think Thomas Jefferson would say that. I think he'd be curious and interested. We could talk about The Big Picture and his house (Monticello is my favorite historical house.) I'd like to have lunch with TJ and with Jimmy Carter. If I knit a charity baby cap while I was having lunch with Jimmy Carter, do you think he'd be offended that my hands were busy? Not a bit. He'd ask me what I was working on and maybe have an idea or two about charity knitting in general. He's my idea of a good public role model. Love that Habitat for Humanity connection.

Guys with ideas and passion; guys that won't quit until they're dead. Cool lunch partners, eh? So which president would you want to meet for lunch?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

teddy roosevelt.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think maybe Harry Truman. He was pretty feisty and wasn't too worried about impressing anyone but his wife and daughter, maybe not even them. He knew what he believed in and wasn't afraid to follow through on it.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony Blair (since you included prime ministers). I've watched him facing the parliament on CSPAN a couple of times, and he strikes me as a VERY bright guy. I'd be curious to ask him what it's like (being a bright guy) to have to kowtow to the "leader of the free world," who, like him or not, does not strike me as the sharpest knife in the drawer.

As far as presidents go, I'd have to go with Tricky Dick.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, yeah, i've seen tony blair and was thoroughly impressed with him in parliament. his pace and intelligence are cool -- every time i see him i try to picture something like that for our president and it almost cracks me up. i think maybe bill clinton would have been good in a place like that, but not the current prez.

maybe we should lobby for that type of event. if dubyah had to face that he would have never made it past the first term...

but yeah, teddy's still my man -- reminds me a lot of our summer vacations.

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am not the type of person who analyzes the personalities of presidents/prime ministers. i don't find them to be a very interesting bunch. and none of them are particularly good looking, so that's another point subtracted.

non-political celebrities are interesting though. i don't think johnny depp would be irritated that you were knitting while he was talking.

but he's not very good looking either. well, he was like 3 decades ago, but he is elderly now.

but the point is, i'd rather talk to johnny depp (who i don't really like) than any president. (or prime minister).

10:44 PM  
Blogger ClaireLeah said...

Johnny Depp is ELDERLY?????

6:00 PM  
Blogger Lene Andersen said...

Pierre Elliott Trudeau - because he had vision and an intelligence that shone.

Nelson Mandela. I'm sure you can imagine why.

(you didn't specify country ;))

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home