Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Baby Caps as an Agent of Change

I am not generally a grass roots kind of gal. I'm not marching for peace or equal rights, I'm not out there trying to get people registered to vote. Don't get me wrong; I vote and think everyone should avail themselves of this freedom but, being a freedom, no one gets to be the boss of you and make you vote if you don't want to.

I think everyone on the planet should do the right thing. Without being told. Just because you know it's the right thing to do. We'd be in pretty good shape then, wouldn't we? I catch flack that I'm unrealistic, living in a fairy tale. I'm not. I just know that each one of us is responsible for our own behavior. It's like today's Brat Factor quote, "Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you -- not because they are nice, but because you are."

So if all you knitters and crocheters out there want to spout off to the president about the appalling infant mortality rates in developing nations, here's a way to do more than complain, to do a good thing that speaks volumes. This website has the details -- Caps to the capital. In a nutshell, fashion washable yarn into a wee little 11" diameter subsized newborn cap (since the babies with the highest risk of infant mortality are not your chubby 8 pounders) and send it to Caps to the Capital with the label they have on their link. They don't just want donated caps. They want outraged voices speaking with their knitting. They want change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home