Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

One Way to Have a Happy Thanksgiving

Taking a tip from Monty Python and "Now For Something Completely Different," we went camping in the central mountains of Pennsylvania for Thanksgiving. Yes, I realize it's November and no, I am not crazy. We stayed in a camper with most of the comforts of home and at least one extra.

Since the camper has only a tiny oven , we had a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey and skipped dessert altogether. Surprise, surprise! No one missed it. Instead of stuffing down pumpkin pie, I did the dishes in a sink smaller than Barbie's hot tub. Meanwhile the less glamorous parts of the turkey simmered for stock. I threw in the carrot sticks I'd brought for snacking on the drive up, the leftover mashed potatoes for thickening & a few noodles and had the best turkey soup I've made in years. (An onion would have made it perfect; I was just glad to have an easy lunch ready for Friday.)

Cassie had resisted the whole idea, shopping being her favorite contact sport and believing we wouldn't be near a mall on Black Friday. But, dear child, it's all in the attitude. We just had to get up a little earlier than 5 AM to accommodate the drive and her diligence was rewarded with the perfect pair of chocolate brown suede boots. After 6 or 7 hours of shopping (but not much spending), we trotted back to a nice lunch of turkey soup and spent the rest of the afternoon recuperating.

Cass & I (and even more critically, our deer-colored, almost-deer-sized dog) came back to Virginia before hunting season starts on Monday. Vince stayed to stomp around the woods with 6 or 7 guys in orange.

And that "extra" I mentioned? The moon phase was new on November 20. The nearest city big enough to throw up any light pollution was 20 miles away. On Thanksgiving night we celebrated a sky filled with stars from one edge of eternity to another. You should have been there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home