Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Cat Crisis Averted

I haven't written in a few days because I've been totally -- as Mike Myer would say --verklempt. (Don't worry; there's a happy ending.)

Oliver is an indoor cat. He has a dog and rabbit to keep him company, and plenty of odd places to explore. He doesn't get bored, and I don't worry about finding his lifeless body on our busy road. It works for both of us.

Late Friday afternoon, just as I was walking out the door for an Event, Vince mentioned, " I think the cat might have gotten out. About an hour and a half ago." I wandered around the yard a bit in my white formal & heels (since I am pretty much the only one Ollie will come to when called. Food is an amazing training tool.) No cat. At 2 AM the thermometer on the chimney (not the coldest spot outside) said 15 degrees. For every "cats are resourceful creatures" I heard, I could think of a half dozen perils: cars, hawks, dogs, the cold, rabid opossums, street-wise gang kitties... The deer frozen in the water trying to cross the pond down the hill did not make me feel better.

So every 20 minutes for a day and half I poked my head outside & called for Oliver. Vince put fliers in the neighbors' boxes. I called three local animal shelters.

In the wee hours this morning (1:35 AM), Vince went to check on the cause of Eiger's barking. There on the porch was Oliver with a broken whisker, grubby white paws and his pupils as big as Volkswagons. I was not the only one in this house losing sleep.

Everyone is relieved and things can go back to normal. I even felted the Orange Cowboy hat, but you'll have to wait for photos. Use your imagination. Vince says, "It's pimpin'!"

Not quite the look I was going for.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm waiting with bated breath!

Glad to hear that Oliver is O-K! I know how scary that is, both with cats and dogs!

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is odd that you write about a broken whisker. it sounds rather minor to me.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home