Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Nothing To See Here

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Unless you count my failed sock yarn dying experiment from Abraham Lincoln's birthday:



It started as 100 grams of KnitPicks Bare superwash sock yarn. I took a strand from each end of the ball and made my own double-yarn sock blank with one of those kid's plastic crank knitting machines from a yard sale, the kind for making Barbie clothes and skinny scarves. One of the problems was that, being a tube, the blank was two layers thick. The machine is supposed to be able to do a flat piece back and forth. It doesn't.

On the negative side, it was hard to dye the underside evenly. I had hoped the dye would blend better. I should have used more colors and narrower stripes.

On the plus side, I will have two identical socks, one from each strand I started with, and I really like the Fire Red. If I do some two-color knitting with a white strand, it could still make interesting socks. I love experiments. Even when they do not turn out the way I had hoped, I learned things I wouldn't do again. That's progress!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home