Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Happy Birthday, Abe

I do not know where this sense of familiarity comes from. I cannot imagine being on a first name basis with any President, let alone a great one.

Still, happy birthday, Abe! In your honor I chose red, white and blue for my dying project. I have had the sock yarn soaking in a bucket in my bathroom since the Big Snow, ready to dye at a moment's notice. You would think that after days of planning, I would certainly take a few photos.

Nope. The thought never crossed my mind until the mess was all cleaned up. You will just have to take my word for it: I spread my yarn out on plastic wrap, splotched it with dye and vinegar mixed in squeeze bottles I had saved from hair dye projects (Reduce! Reuse! Recycle!), then rolled the thing up like a Red Dye #2 (banned since '76 -- I remember years and years without red M&Ms even though M&Ms didn't use red dye #2, but I digress) cinnamon roll to steam it.


Now I am waiting for it to cool before I rinse it. I am disappointed at the overlap between the red and blue. I was hoping for a nice purple. I tried two different reds and two different blues. I think all the possible combinations came out muddy. We shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home