Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Reduced Stress, Reduced Fat

I have discovered the secret to nursing school: Drink more Prosecco. Those Romans knew what they were doing. It is so light, fresh, cheap and it doesn't stain your yoga pants if you spill a little. It goes well with a grilled cheese sandwich of Havarti on caraway bread when that is all you can find in the fridge.


And more importantly, drinking Prosecco does not interfere with knitting chemo caps. Simple knitting around and around on 90 stitches, decrease at the crown. Cotton makes such soft, comfy fabric against tender scalps, but knitting cotton makes my hands hurt. The same limp unbouncy character that makes knitting it a chore, leaves the finished hat lacking boing-boing as well.


That was easily fixed with a little I-cord on the bottom edge in Fixation from Cascade, a cotton yarn with a healthy dose of spandex, the miracle fiber. (The bright pink and green of the top photo is more true.) It looks inside out because the smooth stockinette is inside, against the skin.
The whole project was inspired when I learned I had to do 5 hours of community service for one of my classes. I can do 5 hours of charity knitting standing on my head ... or more comfortably while watching Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, You Can't Take It With You, and Mildred Pierce.

3 Comments:

Anonymous - joanie said...

If all you can find is havarti and prosecco, you're leaning toward the dark (read snob) side. Come back to the American and Boone's Farm side!

7:15 PM  
Anonymous smf said...

You must have been watching Turner Classic Movies the same night I was. Thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and You can't Take it With You but didn't see Mildred Pierce (I thought that was a Joan Crawford thing, not Jean Arthur). Looks like you picked a really nice community service project.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Jan said...

Nice chemo cap, and a good idea!

Nice to see you blogging again, too.

Hope to see you soon at Guild!

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home