Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Friday, April 03, 2009

The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread

Years ago my friend Kathy told me that her mother, living as she did on an Oklahoma ranch, thought the greatest innovation in recent history was the window screen. She had sound reasons for it, having to do with flies and such going from poop to parlor spreading disease. Something about the mental image must have stuck because every once in awhile I ponder on The Best Thing Ever.

Right now, the innovation I can't help but appreciate every single day is on-demand hot water, dribbling in endless (well, not endless; I do have some social conscience) rivulets from my exhausted head down to my poor boxed-in-all-day-longing-to-be-free toes. What could be a greater luxury? What would be more sorely missed?

What is your favorite thing? The thing no sermon has to remind you to be grateful for?

1 Comments:

Anonymous -joanie said...

Well, after our Saturday night sewer situation, I'd have to say working plumbing of any kind is something to be truly grateful for. A flushing toilet isn't as glamorous as hot running water, but it's a luxury I wouldn't want to be without for long.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home