Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Repairo!

My lace knitting has been stalled since Sunday.

Last Thursday I noticed that I had accidentally knit into the stitch below, not usually a glaring error except that it was smack in the middle of an otherwise smooth stockinette diamond. I really hate ripping back lace. It fills me with anxiety that I will never be able to hook it back up correctly, that I will just have to rip the whole thing out and never want to knit again. I tried ignoring it for a few days, but it didn't go away. I sighed, gritted my teeth and laddered back a two-stitch wide swath to the offending stitch. The stockinette was mended in a jif, but the lace took me two days.



The first day, I just looked at it. Georgia O'Keefe said, "to see takes time like to have a friend takes time." So I took time to look at my lace.



The second day, I charted on graph paper, the exact section I was working on and followed it like a road map. I think the repair is accurate, but if knitting needles are our magic wands, why can't we just say "Repairo"?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's going to be absolutely beautiful! Well for that matter, it already is. It makes me think of Miss Marple. I suppose because she's such an avid knitter, but also because somewhere along the line her hair is described as being light and fluffy like a cloud, and that's what this reminds me of.

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home