Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My dog ate my homework

I can't find my bluetooth receiver. I was out of town. (Twice.) My computer hiccuped. My dog ate my homework...

I have not been just sitting around for the last four weeks, but you may have noticed I have not been posting either. I went to Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival. In three words: it was crowded. Other than that, Cass isn't much interested in photos of sheep so has not transferred them to the computer yet. I did not spend as much on yarn as I did on food. What can I say? I am an unapologetic omnivore. I did buy plenty of wool in a lovely shade of red for Janet Szabo's Granite Cardigan from her Fall 2007 Twists & Turns. I guess that will make my sweater Redgranite.

I also do not have a photo of my current knitting, but that hardly matters. When I was young, my favorite of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories was "How the Rhinoceros Got His Skin." It involves a hot day, leaving one's skin on the bank while swimming, stale cake crumbs and unimaginable itchiness. How does this apply to knitting? I am still enjoying the circular alpaca lace christening shawl. As unblocked lace so often does, the 68,900 stitches I have knit so far look like a crumpled, pale sky blue rhinoceros skin. I am on round 184. At this stage, there are 816 stitches in one round. A plain round takes about 20 minutes. Slightly stretched, 8 rounds (or 2 hours and 40 minutes) add 2 inches to the diameter. With my next increase round it will slow down to over 1000 stitches per round.

And about that computer-hiccupping thing? I am most annoyed by the loss of my Freecell statistics. My winning streak was way over 1900. I have got to get out more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home