Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Teddetonka Fire Chief

When you drop a pin on your kitchen floor, do you intentionally drop a second one to help find the first one? I swear it works, although it is chancy. If it doesn't work, you have two pins to worry about stepping on barefoot instead of one.

Life is full of little risks that way. I was messing around with pins because I was blocking a felted knitting project, a fireman's helmet. In this case, a firebear's helmet. The pattern is heavily modified from New Knits on the Block by Vickie Howell . (Heavily as in more-like-inspiration-than-following-a-pattern.) I bought the book specifically for the felted fireman's helmet and was just looking for an excuse to knit one. Since there are no toddlers on my horizon, enter the Prince William Purler's charity project: dressing Teddy bears for the local police officers to give to traumatized children.

It is so easy and fun to knit cute little girlie things that little boys (and big ones) sometimes get the short end of handmade love. Searching for balance is one of my goals this week, so this one is for the little boys.

Meet Chief Ted of the Teddetonka Fire Department.


I am not sure if he will even qualify for the knitting guild's contest because his coat and the crest on his hat are sewn. Truthfully, making the pattern for the coat took as long as sewing it, and the crest took as long as the coat (all that zigging and zagging). Yes, the stripe on his coat is reflective so he can be seen in heavy smoke. Did I mention there is a contest? Nothing like a little competition to bring out the over-achiever gene. I do not care if he qualifies for the contest or not. I only hope that some little boy who is having a very bad day feels a little better when he gets to hug this bear.

P.S. The guild graciously provided the naked bears in three colors: brown bear, polar bear and blond bear. I would have liked a polar bear but then his fur would have gotten dingy from the smoke.


4 Comments:

Blogger Vicki said...

That is SO cute. He's going to make some little child very, very happy.

12:49 PM  
Anonymous smf said...

Nice to have you blogging again, especially since I do not get involved in Facebook. You should get a tremendous sense of satisfaction knowing that some little guy is going to get to hug that adorable bear. It should make what was obviously an intense labor of love all worthwhile.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous cassie said...

awwww it turned out soo cute

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Jan from guild said...

She blogs!

I love it -- the over-achiever gene! You've got that all over the place!

He's great, and I think he qualifies! (And I think he wins, too, from what I've seen so far!!!)

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home