Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

I would like to thank the Academy

I've been thinking about this post for a week but have had other writing to do. (Go ahead; ask me about amoebic dysentery ... if you dare.)

I am usually not a watcher of awards shows, but I really did intend to watch the Oscars this year. I didn't actually watch them. I planned to. I think that should count. I wanted to watch the acceptance speeches. (Well, that and the clothes.)

I wonder what I would say if I had all those people listening to me.

I would like to think I would take a risk, that I'd pass by all those trite "I'd like to thank the Academy ... my producer ... my guru ... my agent ... my dog ... for always believing in me" phrases. Here's an opportunity to say something that will reach the brains of -- not to exaggerate -- a LOT of people, and that's the most they have to say?

My darling daughter has already warned me, after watching contestant after American Idol contestant, that if she's ever on national TV about to dedicate a song, she is not going to say, "This is for my Mother." She loves me but she thinks she could come up with something a little more off-the-beaten-path. She's different than every other person on the planet, so why not celebrate that? I can appreciate her sentiment (although if she dedicates it to her dog, we will have words.)

Maybe this is the ultimate luxury of being a non-celebrity. We don't have to be what people expect us to be (although we don't always take advantage of this blessing.) Maybe actors are so accustomed to having words put in their mouths that they don't feel the power of original thought. Maybe the "it's better to look good than to be good" culture is as much as they aspire to. Then again, maybe I missed some moving, powerful, thought-provoking acceptances speeches on Sunday.

Or just some thought-provoking clothes (mostly, "how does she keep that thing on?")

What would you say?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched part of the oscars, but I always changed the channel during the acceptance speeches (except for Helen Mirren and Martin Scorcese). They invariably disappoint. And it gets uncomfortable when the music starts playing to get them to wrap it up. Funny how the clothes have become a bigger draw than the movies. By the way, did you know Cate Blanchett's gown cost $200,000? I hear whoever made it also has a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home