Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Devastated

It all started a year ago when my favorite local grocery store closed. You'd think I'd be over it by now, but I just haven't recovered. The space is still empty and I haven't moved on. I've taken to guerrilla shopping wherever I happen to be when I need milk.

So imagine how discombobulated I am by the fact that three of the radio stations I listen to changed formats. Within a week of each other. The classic music I used to wake up to is now "George: We play whatever we feel like" (I am NOT making this up), the classic rock station formerly known as the Arrow (WARW) that I listened to in my car is now "The Globe". They've gone green. They use wind power (which I am all for) and although my second favorite radio personality is still there and trying to make the best of it, they are not giving her much to work with music-wise. The third station played the usual mix of thought-provoking NPR fare with some blocks of Celtic, classical & folk music -- all classical music now, presumably to make up for the glaring hole left when George was let loose.

Then I had to change imaginary workout partners and Brad Pitt is not as good at this as you'd think he'd be. I tried to get Anthony Hopkins but he just wouldn't do it. (You try to get Anthony Hopkins to work out with you. He's cool, but he won't do it. Even in your imagination.)

Add to that Cass's latest birthday. She got recruiting junk mail from 10 colleges yesterday. I'm cool with that. Going off to college? Good thing. The driving thing? Not so good.

Maybe I have a little issue with change. (Insert maniacal laughter here.) Maybe I'm fond of routine. If you call it "order" it sounds virtuous. Maybe a little sunshine and a day at the spa (more maniacal laughter) would help. Maybe I exaggerate. (Devastated? Yeah, I think maybe I exaggerate, but I'm not the one snorting milk out of my nose with all that maniacal laughter.)

And then there is my latest knitting project. Did you ever knit a new pattern that was interesting, that was coming along just fine, that was turning into a nice fabric, but you chose the absolute wrong yarn for this pattern? I've been working on a multi-directional scarf: triangles of garter stitch where the grain faces in different directions. It's beautiful in a yarn with long color changes, or interesting in a solid color. Here's mine:




See the triangles? Me neither. That would be the problem. All that shaping and shortrowing and they're practically invisible. I'm determined to finish it, but now it's starting to look like it will be short, besides being invisible.

I'm going to follow the idea I got from the Brat Factor, and hang a medallion around my neck that says, "Everything will be alright." Good advice, eh? It works for just about everything.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can definitely see a pattern, either triangles or diamonds, either way, I think it's very pretty.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i see... diamonds...

6:53 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I was upset about the classical station and my DH was upset about the NPR station going mostly classical. I mostly listen to cds though anyway. Not too much I like these days on the radio.

I sort of see triangles; it does have a nice texture to it.

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grrl! It's going to be a beautiful scarf! Too bad about not seeing the triangles, unless you know to look!

Hopefully you can stand to do another with a more suitable yarn, sometime.

Wow, time marches on, and the kids grow up -- doesn't seem fair, does it? And our older relatives fade away, and are gone.

Enjoy that pretty scarf!

1:47 PM  
Blogger ClaireLeah said...

Hmm - I think you might have some more appropriate yarn for that pattern :) Have you started working with the self striping fingering weight yarn or the lacy Zephyr? If you need more - I can get you more of either one (or both of 'em).

I agree - I'm bummed that classic rock 94.7 - just became 94.7 (it was my car station also) The Globe's new format is supposedly classic rock meets adult progressive and the station is green (we'll have to wait and see if they truly are doing wonders for the environment) - and prior to that I was bummed when we lost HFS (which was actually a pretty good progressive rock station - Phila lost their progressive rock station the year before)

I guess this means - I'll just have to get a new MP3 player - as the one I have is dying. If radio stations wimp out - I'll have to make sure I have good playlists with me!

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home