Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Dear Cokie,

Tonight the Country Mouse went to the City for a Caps to the Capitol reception at the Textile Museum. Cokie Roberts was the keynote speaker. She wears her celebrity well; she seemed very approachable, with a nice smile, a very nice dark taupe suit (90% of the women there were wearing black. It was practically a uniform. You'd think being knitters and crocheters we'd have been a little more colorful) and a passion for simple health initiatives to help low birthweight babies. Since I liked Ms. Roberts so much, I won't post the photo I took; you can go here if you want to see her.

Here are just a few of the caps sent from Wisconsin: (we loved the little Santa thing; it was especially well made. Can't you just imagine a tiny baby in Bangladesh wearing a Santa hat?)



Somewhere along the line, I might have claimed that 250,000 caps in so short a time was too ambitious a goal for this first cap effort by Save the Children.

I had to eat my words. 288,000 caps were donated from all across the country. I am here to tell you, knitters and crocheters are a force. And don't mess with Cokie. She's got a big bunch of people on her side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home