Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Pants or "What was I Scared of?"

Vince is trying to conjure up a pair of ski pants for his upcoming trip, so maybe I'm just sensitive, but it I've noticed a lot of pants references lately.

Henrik Ibsen, who was born on this day in 1828, said, "You should never have your best trousers on when you go out to fight for freedom and truth."

And "What was I scared of?" by another March birthday boy, Theodor Geisel. You don't recognize that title? We always begged for it as "The Runaway Pants." It's one of the other stories in "The Sneeches and Other Stories," a ghost story as only Dr. Seuss could tell it:

"Well...
I was walking in the night
And I saw nothing scary.
For I have never been afraid
Of anything. Not very.

Then I was deep within the woods
When, suddenly, I spied them.
I saw a pair of pale green pants
With nobody inside them!"

Which brings us finally to Anne LaMott's sage advice in a commencement address. Never buy uncomfortable pants. Words to live by, don't you think? (It may sound frivolous, but think about it. We'll have a woman President when we all stop wearing ridiculous pants. And don't even get me started on shoes.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And to think that last night I saw you in a lovely dress! First time I've seen that, I think. And you looked lovely, as well as the dress.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i want to hear more of that story!

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

henrik ibsen! he was a prominent leader of the realist literature movement in the early nineteenth century!

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home