Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Raindrops on roses

I was reading my Brat Factor message the other day (I'm trying to get in touch with my inner brat ) and Pam asked, "What is your idea of Heaven?"

She wasn't talking about the spiritual sense but the here-on-earth, what tickles your fancy, feels like luxury, makes you happy, floats your cork, better-than-chocolate kind of heaven.

Just thinking about things I like makes me smile, a kind of heaven on it's own. It doesn't take much. Here for your consideration is the beginning of a list of things I like even better than a fresh Hershey bar (with almonds):

Buying 2 cent stamps (they're such a bargain! A whole sheet for 40 cents)
A fresh rum bun from the Clifton Store
A good hair day
The movie Roman Holiday (I always cry at the end, even when I think I won't)
Getting email from internet friends
When Oliver the cat comes when I call him (He won't come to anyone else)
A really good waiter or waitress
A new knitting book from a rebel author (like Cat Bordhi, Annie Modesitt, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, and Anna Zilboorg. I like that they think in a different dimension)
Flannel jammies & satin pillowcases
Homemade white bread with honey and butter (when the bread is so fresh from the oven it's hard to cut. The honey goes on first so it soaks in)
A library used book sale

You might think, "My gosh she has low standards" but then, which one of us is better in arithmetic*?

I get thrills at every turn.

(* from Carl Sandburg's poem Arithmetic which ends:
If you ask your mother for one fried egg for
breakfast and she gives you two fried
eggs and you eat both of them, who is
better in arithmetic, you or your mother?)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone knows that the butter really ought to go on first in case there are holes in the bread. Butter will plug holes if you use enough. Besides I know of only one other person who said the honey should always go on first. My response to that was always "eeeuw" or maybe "yucky".

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home