Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Random days

Some bloggers post random days on a predictable schedule. I feel I am entitled to throw a random day in randomly because I have first hand experience with something that is that rare thing -- truly random: my windshield wipers. Cassie would point out that it's not entirely random since it only happens when the car is running, but within those confines my windshield wipers are liable to come on at any time. I've looked for a pattern, really I have. I thought maybe when it's hot & sunny, or when I make a right turn or when I'm doing city driving or when I use my turn signal? Nope. They flick on any old time. Sometimes for one or two swipes, sometimes for longer. Since they do come on when I turn them on I haven't thought much about it, but I suppose I should get it fixed.

Last night Cassie recited (before a crowd of tens) the piece she memorized walking around Burke Lake. She was very pleased. I wasn't able to go but the woman who kindly chaperoned Cassie to Quantico complimented her, and Mrs. W doesn't give casual compliments.

So now Cassie wants to walk around Burke Lake again to learn her next piece which is due April 8th, and then she has a memorial service to learn by June 24. She thinks we've struck on the perfect scheme for memorizing. Having something to do makes 5 miles fly by & not having access to anything better to do makes memorizing easier. By the middle of the summer we should be skinny Minnies.

Tuesday night I was talking to a man who had met Mother Theresa (how cool is that?) when he worked in publishing. He said, "She's not at all like her reputation" and then went on to explain the first thing she asked him was if he had accepted Jesus Christ as his Savior. The funny thing is, that is exactly what I would have expected her to be like. Along with an unrelated comment I heard a month ago, "It's not like she wanted to be a nun" in a way that intimated aspirations to the convent were not entirely sane, I'm beginning to suspect not everyone shares my respect for women who've taken vows of chastity, poverty, & .... now what's that other one?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure you don't have a "spook" under your hood? I look forward to your blogs whether they're on schedule or random so keep 'em comming.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home