Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I know it doesn't look like much

but I am very proud of this:




(Ignore the date. ) These rather non-descript gray bulky swatches are the result of the fabulous Saturday afternoon I spent with Margaret Fisher and 15 or 20 knitting friends. (Note to self: next time don't use icky gray acrylic yarn because it's "just" a swatch.) I am proud of these bits of knitting out of all proportion to their feeble appearance. They are stockinette stitch, ribbing, & reverse stockinette stitch seamed together in a neat, tidy, practically magic way. Margaret is a lovely, patient teacher who does beautiful finishing and I almost missed it. The Prince William Purlers knitting guild sponsored 2 classes. I had signed up for the morning class, "7 things that make or break a sweater" and only decided at the last minute to take the afternoon class on seaming because when I got there at 9 AM there were still a few openings. So I knit swatches through lunch (thanks Claire & Melissa for not saying I was too weird) and had enough time to reknit the one I miscounted on.

I had the best time.

I should cease to be surprised; this always happens. No matter how well I know (or think I know) the subject, I always learn something I didn't even know I didn't know. The teacher is always patient and passionate. My classmates are always varied and interesting. I am always glad I went.

And now I feel empowered. Almost enough to start that red, traveling stitch sweater that's been in my imagination since I saw the red sweater with Joan(ie) at Woolrich in 1989. Jan, that's why I missed charity knitting at Uniquities.

PS This photo doesn't do Oliver justice, and The Principles of Knitting is (unfortunately) the library's copy. A girl can dream.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad to know you had a good time, and feel empowered.

I had a good time, too, and almost finished my Bay Window Bear. (It's a bear that is intended for Jamaica, courtesy of a brother of someone from Bay Window yarn shop in Irvington, VA.) Since I still haven't finished Pinkie (we decided she needed a hat, as her head is a little short), I'll bring her to guild, and we can see if we want to make some for some charity.

See you soon,

Jan

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home