Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Rewind

Sometimes you just have to rewind and start fresh.

Claire and I went to a lovely botanical park yesterday and I was surprised to see the bleeding hearts were out already. If there had been any in the shade, I might have taken a better photo, but it was such a luminous spring day I hardly care how the picture turned out.



This is the hat to go with the scarf with the 43" tail that replaced the invisible scarf that we shall not speak of (since I don't remember where I put it.) There is a small, neatly rewound ball in the center taming that floppy end-of-the-skein feeling I get, especially when using fine yarn. I was so proud of myself for actually rewinding it instead of struggling along for the last 30 yards or so, being annoyed with every tug. (Smooth-feeding yarn is one of the under appreciated aspects of knitting. We only notice when it doesn't.) I have a modified spool on my ball winder (OK. I admit it. It's a toilet paper roll. Not glamorous but it works. My ball winder came from a thrift store in Chambersburg PA where I'm not sure they knew what it was. It was missing the spool, but the price was fantastic.) I stuffed my whole knitting project in the center and wound from the knit end so I still have a center pull -- although smaller and neater -- ball to work from.

The hat is almost my own design. I can hardly call it original when most caps "cast on, knit on circular needles, decrease a bit and pull the tail through the last stitches on the needle." From the inside it looks a little like Lucy Neatby's scrunchie hat (scroll down when you check out the link) or Stitch 'n Bitch Nation's Beehive hat, but the real inspiration was the cuff on a pair of baby booties I knit 15 years ago, a kind of sideways ribbing of stockinette & reverse stockinette that should fit almost any size head comfortably.

I'm not sure yet what to do for the top. It depends on how soon I get tired of the plain knitting. I've got this lace project percolating in the back of my mind and it's a bit like being taken over by aliens. I may not be able to stop myself.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks purty out there enjoying the sunshine!

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home