Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

2738 Stitches

I have that "slammed in the face" feeling I get from Novacaine. I love having my teeth worked on, really I do. I want to keep them forever happy and healthy and if this is the price, I'm willing to pay it (not counting the rather large outlay of cash.)

But I do hate the Novacaine. I skip it when I can, but we were crowning a cracked tooth. The burnt bone smell is enough by itself. I do not need to add the kind of pain that makes me believe in levitation.

I pulled out my knitting while I was waiting for the mouthful of oomoo to cure (that stuff they used to make a mold of my tooth.) I'm working on a lovely hat with rows of stockinette & reverse stockinette, but I didn't get far. Actually, I got less than far. I frogged everything I'd done because it was 128 stitches wide and I decided 120 stitches would be better. I'm knitting this one by guess so one or two do-overs seems likely.

The dental assistant almost freaked out. 2738 stitches gone.

She wondered if it bothered me, that work lost. (I didn't even tell her it was for 8 stitches; didn't want to give her nightmares.) The point is (and I do have one) that I cared more about the hat being just the way I wanted it when I finished. Not perfect, but size matters.

Besides it's the beautiful YarnTree Melody yarn with long color changes I've gotten so attached to. It's to match this scarf.



Don't you just love when you get to the end of your project and you have just enough yarn to weave in the end, plus a little bit more so you don't get crazy with worry that you'll run out? 43 inches to spare. I think it's karma because I'm knitting this set for Santa Train.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scarf is BEAUTIFUL! If I didn't already have a zillion scarves, I would want one just like it!

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful scarf! I look forward to seeing the hat, too!

10:17 AM  
Blogger ClaireLeah said...

Tres cool Gail. You know - I do have more yarn in that colorway - is there anything else you want to knit?

9:44 AM  
Blogger Lene Andersen said...

Gorgeous. Absolutely drool-worthy.

And I'm with you on the Novocaine. Unless it's a Major thing, I prefer brief bearable pain (and sometimes, not even that) to drooling (and not in a good way) for hours. Also, it freaks out the dentist so they work faster! ;)

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a+ for photography.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home