Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Green Claustrophobia

When I was a kid, my friend's mom used to put on a 33 and sing show tunes at the top of her lungs while she cooked. I mean impressively At. The. Top. Of. Her. Lungs. She really put her heart into it, not caring about anything but the song. That is how I remember "Don't Fence Me In."

Things have been greening up around here (and we have the tree pollen count to match.) All the trees I could pretend were propping up the celestial dome over the long naked winter are filling out. Fencing me in, blotting out my sky.

It makes me feel edgy. At a time when most people are reveling in the promise of summer, the lush greenness of it all -- I'm missing the sky. You can take the girl off the plains, but you can't take the plains out of the girl. I always feel better when I look up, whether it's at the stars or at thunderclouds or at sheer incredible blue.

I'll adjust to the green. The closed in feeling will pass, but sometimes I long to spin around and see the uncluttered horizon in every direction.

So to counter my grouchiness at the approaching summer, here's something from it's good side:


A veritable rainbow of flipflops.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

would i be the first if i told you to give up on school and just become a writer? i think you're really good at it and, not being biased at all, i would not hesitate to buy your books. new even.

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bright and colorful but they don't match the impact of the firemen's boots.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home