Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Eternity

Lilian Hellman (or was it Dorothy Parker?) said eternity is two people and a ham. This has always been my byword when it comes to ham. I'm just grateful they keep well.

We've been having ham steaks, ham & corn chowder (a popular soup in this house -- maybe it's the two cups of half-and-half) and today we're down to bean soup. I'm making two pots: one with cabbage, carrots, onion, ham, beans, potatoes, cumin, & chili powder; and one with ham, beans & potatoes. Guess which one is for me...

So as long as I'm pondering eternity, ham and how long it takes navy beans to get soft even after I've soaked them overnight, I think I've decided what to do when I grow up: write the back labels for modestly priced wine. Have you read these things? They get to throw around words like "magical" and "charming" and "struts" like there is no tomorrow. Vince is waiting to read one that says, "Reminiscent of poisoned fish..."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're making me hungry! Care to share the ham soup recipe?
I'm definitely in the mood for that!Rondi

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

write about the apple butter.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home