Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I must not be drinkin' enough?

Have you ever heard the Country Western song, “I must not be drinkin’ enough”? Well, I have come to the clear realization that “I must not be knittin’ enough.” For the last two weeks I have been cranky as all get-out. I’m stone cold sure it is all because I am not knittin’ enough.

I have a good excuse. This Physiology/Microbiology thing might not have been the easiest course for jumping back into the academic pool. The last time I took a science class, Jimmy Carter was President for Heaven's sake. To say my study skills are a bit rusty is an understatement. Still, I am unfazed … the professor is a knitter! And these chemistry formulas? They aren't any tougher than the lace charts I have been pouring over lately. The problem is all this studying is definitely cutting into my knitting and blogging time.

How to deal with the "reorg"? Why, by starting a new shawl, of course! I’ve cast on the Judy Pascale Shapely Shawlette pattern I bought last month at The Mannings. (Just because I wasn’t as enthusiastic on that shopping trip as I should have been doesn’t mean I came home empty handed!) Since the first time I saw this shawl, I’ve been curious about the shaping. (You cast on a few stitches at the center back neck and it grows wings and a point at the same time.) It has a nice rhythm and no brain-twisting complicated patterns to use up my otherwise-occupied gray matter. The pretty autumn colors of the Schaeffer “Anne” yarn I am using should be just enough to keep the boredom away. Besides, the classroom is pretty chilly. A contemporary shawl of an interesting hand-dyed yarn is the perfect accessory for a Student of A Certain Age, don’t you think? The usual female student uniform of low-slung jeans and a tiny, tight T-shirt with/without the cute princess phrase is seriously Not My Style and these ladies could use a dignified example.

They won't be getting it from me, but I sure hope they get one somewhere.

I’m off to do some studying. I hope to be all caught up so I can treat myself to a trip to “My Favorite Yarn Shop” in Warrenton over the Labor Day weekend. They are celebrating their 1st anniversary. Who knows what might find its way home with me (although I promise it won't be a llama)?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gail
Neat pattern-wish I could even begin to think I could do that.
I watched a gal spin a couple weeks from Alpaca wool-she said it is much warmer than sheep wool. They should be as much as they cost-$10,000 for a breeding female.
Have fun, Rondi

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You NEED to bring this to guild. I have some Anne myself, and haven't ever decided what to do with it. Lots of patterns being looked at, but I don't have the shapely shawl. Can never seem to find it when I'm out.

And the low-slung jeans and princess too-tight, too-short tops? Those are going to be nurses one day? Ack!

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home