Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

When knitters rule the world

There are so many cool blogs out there that I'm finally starting to grasp a concept that has eluded me all my life: you can't read/buy/knit/sew/do every cool thing you come across. I have to draw the line and accept it. This is a tough thing for me because I Am A Saver. My sewing room exemplifies the phrase "10 pounds of sugar in a 5 pound sack." I have to step outside to change my mind. And we will not even discuss how much I have tucked away that smells wooly.

In spite of drawing the line, there are a few blogs I enjoy regularly. One of these days I'll figure out how to list them in a sidebar, but for now I'd like to introduce you to one for a good cause. Check out Claudia's blog (cleverly called claudiasblog.net) and look how she's using biking and blogging and knitting to raise money for MS. I think she just posted this today and she's already 2/3 of the way to her goal. The internet community amazes me. Go Claudia! I have two friends, living on opposite ends of the country, with MS. It affects each of them in a different way but they have something in common. Living is a struggle every day. When knitters rule the world finding a cure for MS will be very high on our agenda.

Now I have to go track down my size 3 needles. Tomorrow I'm spending the day with (trumpet fanfare please) Nancy Bush! (I have 4 of her books. Can you tell I'm a fan?) She's teaching a class for the Knitting Artists of Northern Virginia about Estonian lace. I am so excited but I have to get some sleep tonight because tomorrow night, after all that knitting revelry I'm taking Cass to a Fallout Boy concert. She's dyed her hair turquoise for the occasion. Well, actually just streaks framing her face and it's more green than turquoise. A little color never hurt anyone and playing with her hair keeps her from piercing or tattooing anything. Look for me at the concert; I'll be the one with the little foamie ear plugs and sunglasses. As long as I can "turn things down" I'll have a great time.

PS And the other Nancy, that little tip about 1/2 teaspoon of cider vinegar for an upset stomach? Magic, pure magic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home