Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Baby Surprise with a Baby in it

For those of you who are faithful readers of the Yarn Harlot, you might have noticed her subconscious recently had her abandon a baby surprise jacket for some fancy-pants white confection with little flowers. True the new baby sweater she's doing is gorgeous, and it's also true that the baby surprise jacket is unlike the fabulous complicated patterning of her Tinks' sweaters. But here, in all it's glory is the baby surprise jacket I knit for my first-born child.



See? You just put a one-day-old human in it and nobody cares how tricky the knitting is. (Some models make everything look good.)

I remember the great pleasure I felt knitting this jacket and would recommend it to anyone in a minute, as I would recommend reading any of Elizabeth Zimmermann's books (especially my favorite Knitter's Almanac) just for her wonderful, commonsense voice. I'll stop now so you can go to Schoolhouse Press.

PS And the baby surprise jacket does have some shaping in it that makes you want to go up to strangers, point at it proudly & say, "Isn't this clever?"

1 Comments:

Blogger Lene Andersen said...

A little late in the game for a comment, but hey...

That model could make a potato sack look gorgeous! Which is not to say that the jacket is in any way similar to such a "garment" - it's adirable, too. Well done.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home