Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Monday, May 01, 2006

I was just thinking ...

This morning I woke up after a frustrating dream in which my dream neighbors kept slipping in and stealing strange things that had no value to them, like x-rays.

Then I came across this question (from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock) "If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain the body or the mind of a 30-year-old for the last 60 years of your life, which would you want?" Duh! A stagnant mind is tame and boring and mine at 30 wasn't nearly as interesting as it is now, but an unchanging body ... that's just the packaging so who cares? That's probably not the way the question was intended, but again, who cares? Cassie said "Body" too, her logic being, "You KNOW your body's going to get old & stuff, but your mind, maybe not." She's working the odds.

Then I read a wonderful essay entitled "Seeing is Believing" from Something More by Sarah Ban Breathnach and this quote struck me: "I wonder why love is so often equated with joy when it is everything else as well. Devastation, balm, obsession, granting & receiving excessive value, and losing it again. It is recognition, often of what you are not but might be. It sears and it heals. It is beyond pity and above law. It can seem like truth." -- Florida Scott-Maxwell

Then I listened to a tape from The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin and liked this: "It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end."

Then I saw a little boy, probably about 14 months old, walking (well, almost jogging) with so much concentration, so much purpose, so much determination that his Mother, holding his hand and so dear and central to his being, was just background to him.

Then I read Stephanie Pearl McPhee's May Day posting about the promise of spring, and May Day posies for your sweetheart and a bottomless well of grief for the loss of Janine on this first birthday without her. And I understood.

So I did a color quiz (do you know what color Tyrian is? I didn't but did pretty well with the rest: Cerulean, Verde, Fennel, Amarillo, Cafe' au Lait, Damask, Lapis, Puce, Blanc, Saffron, Cobalt, Noir, Aubergine, Citrine, Loam, Cerise, Sepia, Sol, Maize, Alizarin, Heliotrope, Vermillion, Indigo, & Roan.)

And that's what I've been thinking about today. How about you?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa! Lots of reading and seeing and listening and thinking there!

I like your booties, too.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home