Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Surprise!

I am writing this from Wisconsin after flying in late last night (and boy, are my arms tired). (Didn't think I would stoop that low, did ya?) The flights were pretty vanilla if you discount the heady excitement of having the spacious exit row to myself both flights. Both were a little early, no sitting on the runway unexpectedly, no extra security checks, no tornadoes and pretty smooth except a few bumps over Wisconsin. Kudos to Northwest Airlines for actually serving NUTS! They're such daredevils.

I've come visiting to spend Mothers' Day with my Mother. I think the last time was 1980 so it's a good time. I hadn't told her I was coming, and since I got in past midnight, I crashed at my dear brother's house & walked into Mom's kitchen this morning saying, "I brought your tin back." (At Christmas she sent me a tin of homemade caramels. I'm jonesing for a refill). She said thanks before she did a double take, realized I didn't walk into her kitchen every day and we laughed. A good surprise can be very satisfying. She suspected something was being cooked up but was still plenty surprised.

I'd show you photos of the handsome Rose-Breasted Grosbeak that graced the feeder off and on all day today, but he was camera-shy.

Still, there was plenty of other fun to be had. This is my No Time Like the Present Tour. (You know how rock groups name their tours?) Well, there's no time like the present to visit someone you haven't seen in years.


When I was a little girl we used to get ice cream at John's combination ice cream parlor/car repair/all-around fix-it shop. After asking for a list of the flavors, I always went for a double dip of Maple Nut. As we twirled on the swivel seats at the counter, these airplanes had a place of honor behind it. John was a World War II anti-tank gunner in the Pacific, and during the war, made these out of various shell casings (he mentioned 50 cal and 20 mm, or was that the other way around?) and bits of airplane windshield. The planes swivel, the propellers turn and they are exactly how I remember them almost 40 years after I last saw them. Very cool. He also made a Rosary from Australian coins (their high silver content made them easier to work) with beads of clear red toothbrush handle and airplane windshield using only a hammer, tin snips, hand drill & some three-sided files.

There's no time like the present to check out the progress with the artist on the next mural at the Joint Volunteer Fire Department, City of Omro, Towns of Omro & Rushford,

which just goes to show, there is a niche for every volunteer talent. While we were there, I also saw this:

Twenty-six pairs of brand new Official Fireman Boots. Pretty exciting, eh? (I love this picture & have no idea why.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Lene Andersen said...

I love the boot picture! Have no idea why, exactly. The smartass answer would be that I'm imagining all the firefighters who'd be wearing them, but really, it's deeper than that. let me know if you figure it out and I'll do the same.

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maple nut was always the favorite. anytime i can i get it to this day and remember the gas station.

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home