Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Amazing

I had the most amazing day yesterday at Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival.

We went to the best Burger King in Damascus, Maryland on the way. The booths were cute,



the tile was perky and best of all, they served breakfast (which Cassie wanted) and lunch (which I wanted) at the same time. We were really having it our way.

We got to the Festival in good time (it's about 2 hours away). The weather was perfect, the lambs were tasty (sorry, I just couldn't resist that. I'm a committed omnivore; what can I say?)

and the crowds were ... crowded.


Then who should I see in Carol's Hillcreek Farm booth but


Vicki (AKA the designer from Heartland Knits. You may have seen her mittens on the back of the Vogue book on felting, or her afghan square in the Great American Aran Afghan [Knitters issue 62].) Blogs will be full of photos from the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, of chance and planned meetings, photos of the icons of knitting and spinning, and yet none will be half so amazing as this photo.

She isn't just a knitting designer whose patterns I've admired in books and magazines. I grew up in a small town in Wisconsin, went to a high school with a graduating class of 100, wandered around the world only to be transplanted in Virginia. Years later amidst a huge crowd, who do I see when I glance over my shoulder but a chum from that high school class of 100 -- Vicki. What are the odds? Seriously? I live one state over & she lives halfway across the country. We are talking 7 fairground-size barns full of booths, dozens more outside under EZ-ups, 4 more barns full of sheep, a show ring, an entertainment shell, sheep dog demos, auction tent... if you were trying to find someone in that crowd it would be iffy.

When Cass & I got home & downloaded this photo, Cassie said, "Mom, you're smiling too big." Who wouldn't? Sometimes God winks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my gosh - that's Vicky Sever! How fun to run into someone from school! That hasn't happened to me since.... well.... ever!

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home