Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Bada Bing Bada Boom or Shagadellic Mojo?

The Phantom Fireworks catalog was delivered last week. The names on fireworks are so comfortingly predictable: Circue de Pirotechnique; Guns of Navarone; Red, White & BOOM; Brew HaHa; Skyfest Panorama; Midnight Monsoon... It's almost a kind of poetry; the first time I saw a demolition derby I thought having my name painted in big bold letters on the roof support of a car about to be smashed would be the height of romance.

So I'm thinking about names. While I was in Wisconsin, I went to Jane's Knitting Hutch on Wisconsin Avenue in Appleton. It's a beautiful store: lots of natural light, lots of fabulous yarns, knitted samples of most yarns with an extra felted sample for things that felted, enthusiastic clerks, and the best book selection I've seen short of mail order. It took me an hour to pick out my traveling sock yarn -- Bearfoot in their Wilderness colorway. Time after time, and try as I might to branch out, I'm drawn in by Mountain Colors. (Some have traveling socks; I have traveling sock yarn. I've decided when I can't remember where or for what occasion I bought a skein, then it will be time to knit it.)

If any of my photos inside had turned out, I'd show you this lovely store. Here's an outside peek.

Charming, isn't it? Starting next month, it will be called Iris Fine Yarns (www.irisfineyarns.com but her website is still under construction.) I asked the new owner, "Why Iris?"

Mostly because it sounds right for this kind of shop.

It's a good thing I'm not in charge of naming. I thought "Sally Blondie" was elegant. (Sally Brunette just didn't have the same ring.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well i though silveryanna was a nice name too. but the fact that we realize it proves we are cured.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you go to the Neenah shop, too?
And did you stop at Shenandoah Books across the street from Jane's?
-Jody

6:05 PM  
Blogger Mea said...

I am responding you your comment on my blog, Ewehoo! I live on the "east coast" of Wisconsin. I actually visit Jane's/Iris on a regular basis. I am not so sure I'm thrilled with the change but I'm sure I'll adapt. BTW you are the first comment on my blog! Yay! I'm so excited about it.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home