Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Finally! Some Knitting

I am not very good at knitalongs. I start with good intentions but get easily "OBE" (overcome by events.) I doubt that this time is different. We shall see.


I am doing Melanie's Mystery Stole 3 from Pink Lemon Twist. How could I not? I stalked her at Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. (She told us on her blog what she would be wearing. Again, how could I not?) I think her stoles are genuinely imaginative and am hoping doing one as a knitalong will keep me on track; although I have to admit the second clue is coming out tomorrow and I am only 27 rows into the first clue. Does anyone besides me notice a problem with this?


I cast on yesterday (after the fireworks) in Knitpicks Shadow "Jewels" on 14" Bernat size 3 straight needles but every time I tried to put a bead on, my needle slipped ever so gently and annoyingly out of my stitches. Very annoyingly. Then I tried some nice, pointy Options size 5 circulars and yet again on size 4 circulars (which are strangely close in diameter to the original straight needles). I am banking on the 4s. (Swatch? Swatch? We don't need no stinkin' swatch!)







My beads are pretty subtle and I am hoping half way into it I will no longer be saying to myself, "Not another blasted bead row," and regretting my decision to use this option. They add weight and drama and it is a learning experience, right?



At any rate, I am really loving this project. It is a little like working a jigsaw without the picture -- so satisfying when you get it right. Which, right now, I haven't. Maybe lifelines are a good idea (she says as she locks the barn after the horse was stolen.)

I have to sign off now and fix my knitting.



P.S. Whenever anyone says to me, "No one knits anymore" as the woman on the Metro did (and she was a knitter! she should know better) I will point to this knitalong. More than 5,400 people have signed up to put a lot of work into a project, sight unseen. If you want to join, you have to hurry. Sign ups close July 6 at midnight Eastern. But if you miss it, don't worry. Melanie will publish the pattern after the knitalong is done and with this many participants there are bound to be dozens of dedicated knitters blogging every step of the way.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't understand a word of it.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha. i barely understood any either.

anyway, at first i thought it was an essay underneath the knitting which i was going to comment was very collegiate. but it's just the pattern. so just kidding.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home