Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Happy Birthday, Jenny Joseph

On this day in 1932, Jenny Joseph was born. She is the woman who wrote "Warning."

Still don't recognize the name? "Warning" is a poem that begins:

"When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
With a red hat that doesn't go..."

What's especially cool is that -- now that Ms. Joseph is approaching "old" -- she doesn't wear purple, says she can't stand it. Not only did she inspire legions of women to wear purple if they wanted to, we are equally free to wear not-purple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home