Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Monday, July 03, 2006

what I did early saturday morning

You know how when you're really, really excited to see a new movie, a movie that has been thoroughly hyped and much ballyhooed, then when you go to see it you're disappointed?

Superman Returns is not like that.

Actually, I wasn't the one who really, really wanted to see it. Cass was. With a passion not all of us can muster. And the regular theater wouldn't do. It had to be 3D IMAX. The closest venue is 90 miles away, but there's also one a mere 32 miles from Grammy's house (which is lots farther, but hey, we were multi-tasking.)


The whole thing isn't 3D (thank heavens), just 4 or 5 segments and all the previews. I'm not sure that I'd have selected the same scenes to be 3D, but they didn't ask me.

As we stood in line at 8:08 am (for a 9 am show. ok, so we were a little early, but we did get good seats. We already had advance tickets since all the shows the day before were sold out and we found this out the hard way. Don't listen to the guy on the phone when he says they haven't been selling out) Cassie said, "This is going to be so Great!" Uhoh. The cloud of doom passed over our heads. Tempting fate. Just like saying, "This place has the best pizza in Denver." (That particular night, red paste on a cracker will show up at your table. ) We'd driven hundreds of miles and invested 27 Galleons. Cass understands jinxes; how could she say that?

The Jinx Fairy must have been busy raining on tent campers and newly washed cars because when we came out & I asked, "Was it all you expected?" she said "YES!"

I've heard some say it is just a rehash of a previous Super movie. Duh?! Of course it is. All superhero movies have the same plot. Evil Guy (which Kevin Spacey does with the deliciously evil genius you'd expect) aims to get lots of money, destroy world & exploit superhero's weakness. Attractive Female Love Interest gets in trouble. (Nice chemistry between Lois Lane & Superman.) Superhero overcomes by the strength of his heart and goodness of his soul, rather than mere super powers. I laughed. I cried. I cried some more. (It might be a chick flick. After all, Brandon Routh is a hottie.)

The downside? When we stepped out of the theater into the 11:30 AM sunshine, it was disconcerting to step out of Superman's world back into my own.



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take it the photo of you and super guy was taken in the theater lobby?? He's no Christopher Reeves or even Brandon Routh but I guess he'll do in a pinch. Haven't seen it, probably won't. Glad you enjoyed it. I want to see Prairie Home Companion.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, now I have to see it, too!

But I don't care about the 3-D. Gee, I've never seen a movie in 3-D before!?

Thanks for the review!

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i want to see nacho libre.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

Nacho Libre?! I'm sure it'll be on DVD in no time.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the movie sucked. at least with spiderman you get a different villian.

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home