Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Knitting mohair is like childbirth

You love the end result with all your heart, but in between projects if you didn't develop amnesia you just might never do it again.

It's practically impossible to frog and the fibers creep along if you don't keep a light, delicate touch. Maybe knitting mohair is more like making pie crust...

The green flashes in this yarn don't show well in this photo, probably because of the greens around it. Razor Shell pattern 49 stitches wide in Crystal Palace Kid Merino in "Violets" on size 9 needles (I was feeling loose.) It's moving right along. I cast this on yesterday, and I'm just knitting until this one ball is gone. This yarn has only been in my stash since "Knitters' Day Out" last Fall. Pretty quick for me.

P.S. Don't ever use your bare hand to brush dust off the bottom of an old Fiberglas kayak. What was I thinking? Coating my palm with peel-off face mask seems to help.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I remember holding onto the raft floats when I was a kid -- again with the very old fiberglass -- those arms would be so itchy later ....

It's lookin' purty!

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must have read my mind (except for the childbirth part)!!! After knitting that grey mohair you sent me, I pretty much decided never again. But it had been a while and the amnesia had definitely kicked in. So a couple of days ago I started with the blue stuff you sent. I have to say, though, that as bad as the mohair can be, compared to the fun fur you gave me in TX, knitting mohair is like falling off a surfboard!

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home