Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Day Lilies in the ditch

Every one of the flowers I love is favored for a sentimental reason, not because of its color or scent but because of the person it represents to me.

Even though Grandma Fraleigh had a whole bank of hydrangeas the size of basketballs, I think of her for pansies, poppies, and bleeding hearts. When I think of Grandma Schmude, I think of gladiolus, morning glories, strawberries and

day lilies.

I'm especially fond of these because even though my yard looks like a mulched parking lot and I am stubbornly not trying to rehabilitate it, these troopers come up year after year. In the ditch. Just like at Grandma's house (although her ditch was magnificent. Mine's wimpy.) Today I saw my first blooms of the summer.

Looks deceptively pastoral, doesn't it? The traffic was being held up by the school bus just around the corner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home