Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Monday, May 29, 2006

No pony


When I was about 12 years old, I entered an essay contest for Memorial Day entitled "What Freedom Means to Me." The prize was a pony. I am sure (since the prize was a pony) that I wrote the essay of my life. Ironically, a farm kid won.

Since there's no pony this time, the pressure is off.

We're not a military family, but we are patriotic -- in the "don't tread on me" way, rather than the "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" way. Each of us that wound up in uniform did so by a different route and for different reasons. Mine were probably the weakest; I thought it seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm more of a dove than a hawk, but it turned out to be a fine choice.

In his sermon yesterday, Father Tom -- who seems to have a special insight into the lives of military servicemen ( I think because he served as a chaplain during the Vietnam War) -- made me proud of my military service, and fearful for those in the path of danger.

(When Cassie saw this photograph she said, "Heyyyyyy; you know you like my hat.")




While doing this post, I learned that in spite of having many pleasant memories, I have more photographs of friends in uniform than of me (and none of that dreadful shot from basic training) . After hunting for ages, this photo -- in fatigues and fatigued (I'd just come off my third midnight-to-noon shift of a 3 on, 3 off schedule) is one of the few I could come up with.






Bob, I really loved the ribbons on your 2005 photo, but it couldn't win over the smile in this photo.

















So I wish us all a peaceful Memorial Day.




1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't have any of the basic training photo??? I'll have to remedy that.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home