Fingerless glove

looking for what's missing... I'm a knitting, spinning, mother of teenagers with a big dog, a small cat, minus the lovely rabbit Meliflua.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Right now I'm listening to "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh, reading "How to Change Your Mind" by Michael Pollan, knitting mittens, and thinking about casting on a hat.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Sugar Art

I learned something valuable yesterday. The best candy store in the world is located in the charming old town shopping area of Cumberland, Maryland (just around the corner from the yarn store): Robert's Confections, Sugar Art. No mass-produced drivel fills out the selection, no cellophane wrapped jawbreakers or imitation licorice. They obviously hand make all their confections: glossy, chocolate dipped buttercreams; delightful molded French creams (a flower-shaped, flavored butter cream coated in fine sugar instead of chocolate); and (drum roll, please) chocolate covered orange peel. This is a thousand times better than you can imagine, without a trace of bitterness, but all the magic of the orange-chocolate combination. It is so good I did not go back to buy more because I would eat it until I got sick. Sigh. Sugar art indeed.

Going the day after Valentine's Day might have been good timing, but every single candy I bought tasted fresh and looked gorgeous. The gentleman that waited on me was sweet as well and nestled each treat into the box like he was wishing it Bon Voyage.

Alas, they make candy and wedding cakes, not web pages. You cannot visit them online. You'll just have to go to 74 Baltimore Street, Cumberland MD 21502, phone: (301) 722-004. Godiva will never be the same again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home